USA: +1 (619) 600-5670
MEX: +52 (661) 613-2332

Currently we have the implementation of what Rosarito Convention & Visitors Bureau has been asking since 2007, the bilingual traffic citation.

Paying For Traffic Tickets
Paying For Traffic Tickets

This means that starting this year you, the American tourist, no longer will be required to follow the officer to the station to pay your fine; you can simply request a bilingual ticket which will have a list of infractions and their amounts along with easy to follow instructions for paying through the mail. This can be done back at your place of residence in the U.S.

These tickets however are not issued by federal or state police, only within the Rosarito city jurisdiction by the city’s tourist and regular police.

With the ongoing crackdown on corruption, if you are stopped by an officer, remember that the officer cannot request or receive any money as payment for the infraction, request and insist that he/she gives you a ticket; if you disagree you can dispute it, if you agree you can now mail your payment. If the officer is reluctant in giving you the ticket, dos not offer the option of the bilingual ticket or implies or directly request for payment, the administrations asks that you report the name and badge number of the officer. In order to dispute a ticket you must go before the judge immediately, for assistance in this matter you can contact the Tourist Assistance Hotline by dialing 078.

The cities of Tijuana, Ensenada and Mexicali also give you the option of paying transit fines by mail, with either a check or money order, here are the U.S. addresses to where you should send payment. For the city of Tecate, however, payment must be made in the police station.

Send check or money order for tickets received in:

H. Ayuntamiento de Rosarito
P.O. Box 439060
San Diego, CA 92143-9060

H. Ayuntamiento de Tijuana
416 West San Ysidro Blvd.
Suite “L”, No. 725
San Ysidro, CA 92143

Municipio de Ensenada
PMB 147 P.O. Box 189003
Coronado, CA, 92178-9003

H. Ayuntamiento de Mexicali
P.O. Box 6027-23 Paulin Ave.
Calexico, CA 92231-2646


Filing an Appeal

If you feel that you are unfairly being fined you may file an appeal. This is done with the municipaljudge inside the police station. An appeal is called “un recurso de inconformidad”. The tourist hotline operated by the Baja California Secretary of tourism (dial 078 in Baja California Norte) can give you further information regarding this. In addition, they want to hear from tourists who have complaints regarding misconduct of public officials and law enforcement officers.