Things you Didn´t Know About Calafia
Heading down the Rosarito-Ensenada toll-free road, the Calafia towers are hard to miss. They have become a landmark of the coastal scenery, a sign of delightful surprises awaiting us: Pacific Ocean Views, mouthwatering lobster tacos, surf breaking at your toes, sea breeze.
While newer communities have come and gone amidst turmoil and scandal, Calafia Condos Resort & Villas stand tall, having become one of the most respected and stable private residential neighborhoods in Rosarito.
If you´ve never been to Calafia, there are many things you may not know about them.
The complex is almost 30 years old
- It was the brainchild of a visionary group of architects and builders, who are still involved in the operation of the compound. Some considered it to be ahead of its time.
- It started with a single tower, built in 1987. Tower 2 was built in 2006 and after an incredible boom, Tower 3 was built in 2012
- It now holds 197 Number of units, and 36, single story villas
- Whereas in the U.S. some people equate newer with better, in Mexico, structures built around the 1980´s are very coveted for their solid construction and comfortable layout
- The lush gardens at Calafia are 30 years in the making
- The oceanfront boardwalk is long enough for a nice morning run or afternoon stroll (it would be nice to how long exactly)Every building has a workout room
- Calafia´s amenities include a private movie theater, sauna, steam room and spas. There´s also a conference room and TV lounge
- X number of pools and x number of Jacuzzis
- A staff of 17 keeps the grounds and swimming pools pristine
- A gate and 24/7 security guard keep the community safe and free of trespassers
- All of the master bedrooms have ocean views
- The floorplans range from 2 to 3 bedroom spacious units (from 1600 to 1900 square ft.)
- Many owners have easily fit a home office into their units
- Floor to ceiling glass windows provide unobstructed views of the Pacific
- The beach at Calafia has a semi-private cove, ideal
- While the south end of the compound shows a rocky oceanfront, commonly found along the Baja Gold Coast, the northern part shows a gorgeous sandy beach tucked away in a little cove, ideal for sunbathing and relaxing and even fishing
About living in Calafia:
- We love pets! Calafia is a dog-friendly community.
- Owning at Calafia costs 1/5th of what a comparable property in the U.S. would cost
- Prices of an oceanfront condo at Calafia are in the high $100k’s. Comparably, the median house in San Diego is $395,000. And that´s inland.
- Many of Calafia´s owners are full-time residents who gather together for movie night, football games and nice sunset dinners
- Calafia is just a 25-minute drive south of the U.S. border
- While by law, there are no private beaches in Mexico, Calafia´s unique location makes beach access virtually impossible to outsiders
- Each year we get sightings of dolphins, sea lions, and the spectacular gray whale migration
- There´s an ample area for fishing. Common species in Rosarito are croaker, corbina, perch, sand bass and halibut
- Rosarito has five major grocery stores including a Walmart Superstore, where a person can fill his shopping cart for approximately $60.00.
A unique history and mystique:
Legend has it that Calafia was a warrior queen who ruled over a kingdom of Black women living on the mythical Island of California. Strong and brave, she was the most beautiful woman on earth.
Calafia Resort a sits right next to the historical Calafia Mission, one of the famed Catholic establishments from the 1700s, which is now home to a museum, hotel, restaurant and small shopping area. It is a required attraction for anyone interested in the area´s unique history and mystique.
From the Baja Real Estate Group Marketing Staff. For more information, please contact Kathy Katz at Kathy.katz@BajaREgroup.com.
About Kathy Katz.
AMPI Charter Member-Rosarito Chapter Mexican Certified Baja Real Estate Agent Full Time Resident for over 20 years. Broker-owner for the Baja Real Estate Group with over 20 years of experience doing business in Mexico. Specializing in development, resort and retirement properties.