Things you Didn´t Know About Calafia
Heading down the Rosarito-Ensenada toll-free road, the Calafia towers are hard to miss. They have become a landmark of the coastal scenery, a sign of delightful surprises awaiting us: Pacific Ocean Views, mouthwatering lobster tacos, surf breaking at your toes, and sea breeze.
While newer communities have come and gone amidst turmoil and scandal, Calafia Condos Resort & Villas stand tall, having become one of the most respected and stable private residential neighborhoods in Rosarito.
If you´ve never been to Calafia, there are many things you may not know about them.
The complex is almost 30 years old
- It was the brainchild of a visionary group of architects and builders, who are still involved in the operation of the compound. Some considered it to be ahead of its time.
- It started with a single tower, built in 1987. Tower 2 was built in 2006 and after an incredible boom, Tower 3 was built in 2012
- It now holds 197 units, and 36, single story villas
- Whereas in the U.S. some people equate newer with better, in Mexico, structures built around the 1980´s are very coveted for their solid construction and comfortable layout
- The lush gardens at Calafia are 30 years in the making
- The oceanfront boardwalk is long enough for a nice morning run or afternoon stroll (it would be nice to how long exactly)Every building has a workout room
- Calafia´s amenities include a private movie theater, sauna, steam room, and spas. There´s also a conference room and TV lounge
- X number of pools and x number of Jacuzzis
- A staff of 17 keeps the grounds and swimming pools pristine
- A gate and 24/7 security guard keep the community safe and free of trespassers
- All of the master bedrooms have ocean views
- The floorplans range from 2 to 3-bedroom spacious units (from 1600 to 1900 square ft.)
- Many owners have easily fit a home office into their units
- Floor-to-ceiling glass windows provide unobstructed views of the Pacific
- The beach at Calafia has a semi-private cove, ideal
- While the south end of the compound shows a rocky oceanfront, commonly found along the Baja Gold Coast, the northern part shows a gorgeous sandy beach tucked away in a little cove, ideal for sunbathing relaxing and even fishing
About living in Calafia:
- We love pets! Calafia is a dog-friendly community.
- Owning at Calafia costs 1/5th of what comparable property in the U.S. would cost
- Prices of an oceanfront condo at Calafia are in the high $100k’s. Comparably, the median house in San Diego is $395,000. And that´s inland.
- Many of Calafia´s owners are full-time residents who gather together for movie night, football games, and nice sunset dinners
- Calafia is just a 25-minute drive south of the U.S. border
- While by law, there are no private beaches in Mexico, Calafia´s unique location makes beach access virtually impossible for outsiders
- Each year we get sightings of dolphins, sea lions, and the spectacular gray whale migration
- There´s an ample area for fishing. Common species in Rosarito are croaker, corbina, perch, sand bass, and halibut
- Rosarito has five major grocery stores including a Walmart Superstore, where a person can fill his shopping cart for approximately $60.00.
A unique history and mystique:
Legend has it that Calafia was a warrior queen who ruled over a kingdom of Black women living on the mythical Island of California. Strong and brave, she was the most beautiful woman on earth.
Calafia Resort sits right next to the historical Calafia Mission, one of the famed Catholic establishments from the 1700s, which is now home to a museum, hotel, restaurant, and small shopping area. It is a required attraction for anyone interested in the area´s unique history and mystique.
From the Baja Real Estate Group Marketing Staff. For more information, please contact Kathy Katz at Kathy.katz@BajaREgroup.com.
About Kathy Katz.
AMPI Charter Member-Rosarito Chapter Mexican Certified Baja Real Estate Agent Full Time Resident for over 20 years. Broker-owner for the Baja Real Estate Group with over 20 years of experience doing business in Mexico. Specializing in development, resort and retirement properties.