Bringing Pets to Baja California
Have you ever felt remorse when you go on a road trip to Baja and leave your beloved pet behind? Well, why not bring your furry companion with you next time. If your only road block is information, here we are breaking it down.
These are the requirements for the introduction of cats and dogs to Mexico according to the Secretary of Foreign Relations:
- A Health Certificate issued by an official authority or by a licensed veterinarian provided that his signature is approved by a State Veterinarian.
- A Vaccination Certificate for hepatitis, pip and leptospirosis; the rabies and distemper vaccines must be administered at least 15 days before you get to Mexico.
Consular certification is not required.
If your trip will take your further south of Ensenada or to mainland Mexico additional paperwork must be filed with the Mexican Department of Agriculture.
Now that you know you can bring your furry friends to enjoy Baja with you, your other concern will probably be where to stay.
Here’s a list of some pet-friendly lodgings.
B&B Oui Madame
La Fonda Hotel
Bobby’s Villas by the Sea
Best Western El Cid
It is always a good idea to call ahead and make reservations, and ask about their pet policies, some may have few rooms to accommodate pet owners and their friends; also make sure to mention the breed of the dog, some hotels may not accommodate large breeds.
Some general recommendations when traveling with your pets:
- During your visit keep the rabies certificate close at hand.
- If your dog/cat has special dietary needs, bring enough food and water for the Duration of the trip, you may not be able to find the brand of pet food your pet needs or prefers.
- Make sure your pet has their tag with all your current contact information, if possible put down a local number, your hotel number for example.
- As always never leave your pet unattended in a car.
- Bring any medicines your pet may need.
For more places that are pet friendly visit: